Mike Maka is a painter who works in a variety of media mainly on walls, canvas and illustration on paper. He has travelled and created work around the world, painting the Berlin Wall to the River Ganges. At 20, he received a scholarship to study art in New York, which lead to working as a bike messenger for 10 years in 10 cities, and leaving his mark on many walls. An active member of Everfresh Studio since 2006, Mike has exhibited extensively through Australia as well as group shows in Brazil, Japan, Miami and New York, and has works in private and public collections locally and abroad, including aquisitions by the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra.
His work is preoccupied with the interface between man, beast and machine. Presenting a visual riot that stimulates the mind, Mike’s art conveys an imperative message to those confined in the concrete jungle to stay connected to the animal within them that lives in the natural world.
He is based in Melbourne Australia, but has been known to wander in other dimensions.
2013 ’Revolutions’ – The Tate Gallery, Glebe, Sydney
2012 ’Cycles’ – House of Bricks, Collingwood, Melbourne
2011 ‘Mother of Millions’ – No Vacancy Gallery, Federation Square, Melbourne
2010 ‘Makanikal Gardens’ – Hogan Gallery, Collingwood, Melbourne
2012 – – AWOA (A Word of Art ) , 4 weeks residency, Capetown, South Africa
- Rainbow Serpent Festival -Main Stage Decor Artist – 4 murals
- Laneway Festival -Melbourne – Featured Live Mural Art
- Essencia – 5 day event, Murals in all 4 zones and exhibition- Matilha Gallery, Sao Paulo.
- Flutu Arte – Floating Art – Project Artist – Urca, Botafogo, Rio de Janiero. Brazil
- Graffiti Vale – Project Artist – Paraibuna, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Donuts Anniversario – Project Artist – Porto Alegre Brazil
- This is Melbourne – Fringe Festival Group Show- Bella Union Gallery
- Fur + Whiskers – Off the Kerb Gallery Melbourne
- National Gallery of Australia – Space Invader Exhibtion, aquired as part of their permanent collection and live painting at the event
- National Gallery of Victoria – Federation Square Melbourne , Evefresh Inaugural Exhibition in Project Space.
- National Gallery of Victoria – ‘Board’ Skate Culture Exhibition
- Outpost– Project Artist for event, Cockatoo Island , Sydney Harbour
- 1000 Pound Bend – Semi-Permanent – Group Show
- ACASA – Curitiba Brasil – Group Show
- Evefresh Blackbook Launch Exhibition – Melbourne , Sydney + Tokyo
- 7 Deadly Sins Exhibition- Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Madrid , Spain
- Millenáris Street Games – Hungary Budapest
- + many more group shows and events, email me if you want a longer version of this page.